Friday, August 10, 2007

Westsidebenny is being more reasonable

Westsidebenny;
Of course the water is at a higher level during high river flow from spring thaws or heavy rainfalls.

The reason for the summer low levels that we recently experienced is because of the dam operating orders. The gates are open right up to the point that you only have 3 feet of water, as you say over the rocks. The dam itself is not being fully utilized do to the operating orders requiring gates to be open at ridiculously low levels.

You ask why argue with the DNR?

We ask; why can’t we hold some water back instead of draining it to the bottom?

The DNR just did exactly what we want at Horicon for the hunters and ducks?

I’ve read your posts saying that RKLD is only for boaters and they forget about the hunters and fishermen/women. (below; Greenheads4ever)

1) The winter drawdown has been proven to kill many beneficial organisms as well as herps & fish without having any benefit towards reducing flooding.

2) The drawdown does not benefit spring fish habitat for spawning, fish need somewhere to spawn and that has always been wetlands and structure, and without it little or no spawning takes place.

3) The RKLD paid for the work done by Montgomery Associates for the Hydrology study but the DNR and USGS both worked on the report at their own expense.

4) Why do I think this lake would be better, because I have lived on this lake for over 60 years and know that years of higher water levels the fish spawning increases and we have much better fishing for a period of time until the one time spawning success has fish has been fished out or died.

5) The same thing happens with ducks, more water better breeding grounds in the wetlands and more places for them to rest during the entire open water season.
Diver

Diver,
That is one of the most well written responses to my contrary feelings that anyone has offered in some time. I intend to read all of the articles on the RKLD website.

So far I have read one by the DNR and the RKLD's refutation. I do think their is more to this than the claim that a few rich duck hunters are behind the whole thing to prevent individuals from entering bays in the fall. Turning the bays into mudflats doesn't help them either.

I do agree that the water could be higher than it is during mid summer. I too know the frustration of needing to wait until mid June to put out a monster of a pier. My prop does have a little Koshkonong polish on it from Dahlman's landing.

I would be the first to jump on board with higher water if it appeared that better controls could be put in place. If it is as simple as opening and closing gates in Indian Ford maybe I have something to learn.

Like I said I intend to devote a little more time to researching the published facts of this hot potato to add to my shoreside observations.
Westsidebenny
Westsidebenny,
Thanks for listening and I appreciate the compliment on my post.

Hopefully others will read what RKLD has on their website and when they have questions about something they will ask the appropriate people RKLD, DNR, USGS, USFWL or experts for answers.

One other thing I would like to comment on is the belief that a few people have on RKLD contracted expert’s data being skewed because they hired/contracted them.

I know of no Professional or Professional Firm that would risk their licenses and livelihood for any person, business or government. They will only report what the research data shows, whether it helps their clients are or not.
Diver

Labels: