Saturday, May 17, 2008

Level of Lake Koshkonong affects local economy

Editor, the Gazette:

I own a house on Lake Koshkonong. I spend most summer weekends there, as well as many others during the "off season." I vacation at the lake. I have a small sailboat and never tire of sailing on the lake.

Because of its shallowness, a slight drawdown greatly affects its recreational use. When it's very shallow, I forego weekends there and hope for higher water. When away, I'm not buying groceries or gasoline. I'm not spending in local shops or restaurants. I'm not paying for services in nearby communities. In short, I'm not spending money in lake communities.

Others with second homes on the lake choose activities and destinations away from the lake when its level drops. I love being there as much as possible, but when it cannot be used to its fullest, I look elsewhere to spend discretionary money.

There's a direct link to the lake level and the level of surrounding economic activity. When more people can use it to its fullest, they will.

To paraphrase a line from "Field of Dreams," if you fill it, they will come.

Koshkonong is a powerful economic engine for surrounding communities. In a lake as shallow as Koshkonong, 7 inches can make a huge difference. If the DNR would set the summer level 7 inches higher than the level it has been using, the positive economic impact to lake communities would be significant.

I hope this viewpoint won't be lost on the DNR.

DOUG ELWELL
Edgerton