Friday, July 22, 2005

More EMAIL with the Smiths

Brian,
I regret that expressing my personal position has raised any hostility, and do apologize for being smarmy. You owe me nothing, but I appreciate your consideration and time. I realize that the RKLD's board acts in what it believes to be the best interest of the district, much like a school board.

I am aware of several district members who are my neighbors, one an attorney, that opposed rebuilding the Indianford damm. Birdwatchers etc., who wanted the lake restored to its natural state. I know of two families who moved from Vinnie HaHa fearing higher taxation of being in a lake district. Nancy and I have no such concerns with the property tax rate and it is not a factor in forming our opinion. I will not venture a guess on what motivates the DNR Secretary's beliefs, and don't know what his/hers expertise is on this matter.

Mark Twain once said, " An expert is a fool a long way from home".

Fortunately, the locals will decide on July 30th. You have expressed the position of the RKLD to nominally raise the lake level in open and honest terms. So have those with different views. We will accept the will of the majority and continue to live here with pleasure. This will end my discourse.
RS

Mr. Smith;

I intended no hostility; rather, I do appreciate your opposing view on this matter of special charges and lake management.

You may have picked-up on my exasperation with receiving phone calls and emails from those expressing their “opinions,” feelings,” “beliefs,” and speculating on the effects of what the RKLD is requesting. Also, we have been responding to biases against the RKLD. But, from the beginning, we have worked with great diligence to remove all bias, all feelings and opinions from how to properly manage Lake Koshkonong.

The RKLD would never generate false science and then expect to prevail in a contested case hearing. It would be a fool’s mission. However, when the Department (DNR) invokes a blanket rejection of science that they themselves have never, ever conducted on the lake itself -- rather, the DNR simply cites “the literature” and applies their dictatorial authority in a fashion that harms both the ecosystem and recreation – then, unfortunately, lawyers are needed to sort it all out.

Aldo Leopold, the father of wildlife ecology and a Wisconsin native once said, “"Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land."

The existing DNR water level orders offer no such harmony.

Regards,
Brian Christianson