Saturday, July 31, 2010

Are the Gates Open??

Brian
I'm a land owner on the lake.

I live by charleys bluff.Ive put my pier and boat in three times and I've had to take them back out.I haven't been able to use the lake at all this year.

They have shut the gates on the power house.and i don't why.I suppose its so they can water ski down in Janesville.

If that's the case Janesville should pay and take over the dam and its responsibility.I don't think the land owners should be charged for something they have no control of.
Keith Ruud
______________________________
Keith -
The gates are NOT closed and they have NOT been closed for nearly 2 years.

Even though the RKLD owns the Dam, we must comply with DNR orders and file a report with DNR DAILY that includes inflow and outflow and gate operations. The fines RKLD would incur for violating DNR orders by closing gates would be huge.

Whoever told you gates were closed is simply dead wrong.
As far as lake levels, direct your complaints to Mother Nature.
The spillway at the Dam is at a lower elevation than the elevation of the lake - which means, the ONLY time the Dam is holding back water in the lake is when the lake is at extreme LOW level.

Right now, the Dam is acting as though it is not even there - the river is flowing free over the top of the spillway and through open gates.
I trust now that you understand that RKLD and the Dam has no impact on high/flood water - you will pass on these facts.

Thanks for your email
Brian Christianson

Labels: