Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Navigation Question

Hey Brian,
I have spent the last 2 years getting to know the Koshkonong area and visiting with friends. A month ago (Friday June 6th) I finally closed on my own place on Lake Koshkonong over by the Mounds on Vinne Ha Ha. By Monday June 9th I had learned of the USGS Gauge and what a handy tool that is. My residence is high and dry on a bluff 20ft or so over the lake. I consider myself fortunate that I have only $20,000 worth of shoreline and boathouse damage. I hope you have been one of the lucky ones as well.
This past Sunday I caught this notice on your blog on rkld.org:

Sunday, July 06, 2008
DNR Opens Lake Koshkonong

Where can I go to validate for myself if the lake is open or closed to boat traffic, wake/ no wake conditions etc? Is there anywhere I can go to find out whether the water is safe for my children and pets to actually go in the water? I have seen varying reports and don’t know who the authoritarian is. Thanks.
J.R. Hommer
_____________________________

JR –
The DNR issues press releases that they post on their website http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ that local newspapers then publish.

The RKLD has no authority to regulate slow-no wake restrictions. The county sheriffs’ departments post their respective sections of the river, while the lake is in a multi-jurisdiction.

The DNR issued an emergency flood notice and closed the lake and all landings, to protect public safety.

Please check the RKLD blog for the answer to your water quality question. The simple answer is to stay out of the water until the newspapers print otherwise.

Best
Brian Christianson