Monday, July 17, 2006

Question on Dead Fish Floating Downstream

Hi Brian,
I am a riverfront owner on Badger Heights. My neighbor and I have noticed an incredible amount of dead fish on the shore and in the lake. All of them appear to be carp in about the 12 inch range. We counted 15 fish on shore or floating around our docks on Sunday morning. We also noted 2 to 3 fish floating down river at any give time just off our docks all day. This has been going on for a few weeks. This has me concerned. Do you know anything about this? I'd appreciate if you looked into this. Is there anyone I should contact about this?
Thank you,
Greg Owens
It may be from different causes such as netting mortality, virema virus or they were in a location that experienced poor water quality conditions such as pollution, low DO, high algae concentrations, etc. I don’t know if the commercial netters have been out lately but they can cause delayed mortality because they typically throw the smaller fish back due to lack of market for the smaller ones.

Call up DNR Don Bush (608-743-4823)and ask him if has been getting calls on this issue. I am sure he will have an answer for you.
Thanks