Sunday, June 25, 2006

Even More Comments from Stone Farm

My comments are in bold...

There is no way we can inform every homeowner in advance of gate manipulations.

Actually, I didn't ask for that. I asked for the major manipulations that either temporarily flood us or strand our boats on the lifts. The primary folks affected are those from Miles road and upstream of it (which is basically Stone Farm Road folks and the group right next to the dam). It is very easy to send out an email to those homeowners that are interested (which isn't that many). It would just require a little effort to enter the addresses initially. It's my understanding that RKLD already sends out mass emails for other matters. As a resident of Fulton Township, I would expect that this would not be that difficult, especially since we have an appointed representative on the RKLD BOC and yourself.


That is why the USGS site is linked to our site. If water levels are dropping on the lake (USGS) and we are at or below our DNR target level, then you all can expect more gates will be closed, and vice-versa.
I have a number of the USGS sites bookmarked and do monitor them - usually daily.

Additionally, late last year, when work on the trash racks forced us to close the wicket gates, we posted daily updates on the blog at the RKLD website.
That was well publicized, so people were prepared. Which is exactly what I'm talking about.

Gate operations are very strictly regulated by the DNR -- it is not a mystery that the RKLD is keeping to ourselves. Flows are dictated by Mother Nature and DNR.
I think that I should have made the case that I am reasonably versed in the Rock/Koshkonong level issues. I'm glad that you understand that the RAJ doesn't control it as you had inferred originally in your blog. You also left out the dam operators, who in conjunction with nature and the DNR, do in fact control the flow and level.

Labels: