Wednesday, May 31, 2006

You Heard It Here First

This season was the first year I paid a service to trailer, store, and return our pontoon to our pier. In past springs, I parked the boat in the driveway for weekend cleaning, maintenance, and renewing my registration as needed.

This year, the boat was already in the water and she was supposedly, good to go.

My bad.

Sunday afternoon, May 28th, I politely waved at the DNR as they passed us heading the opposite direction. Our little guys were sleeping as we headed home from Maple Beach and the grandparents had enough sun for the day.

When the DNR pulled-up along side me, I knew, right then, I never checked the registration. My sticker had expired March 31st -- wrong color sticker.

The DNR wardens were very nice, very understanding of my forgetfulness, but nonetheless, handed me my $186 blue ticket.

It was an expensive lesson, but I share it with you because when I returned home, I renewed my registration on the DNR website for $28.00.

If you have not looked at your boat registration recently, or have recently moved, consider yourself forewarned.