Friday, June 17, 2005

Koshkonong boater is frustrated

(Published Friday, June 17, 2005)

Editor, the Gazette:

I have a weekend getaway cabin on the Rock River. Isn't silt build-up another reason why water levels are decreasing in Lake Koshkonong (Why not dredge?)? If so, why wouldn't the DNR take this into account? I was boating recently and hit a floating tree trunk stuck in the mud. I had to replace my prop. The scary part is my wife, dog and baby all fell and could've been seriously hurt. We were able to slowly putt along and get to the marina. Now I'm very worried about taking my 2-year-old child on the water if the DNR is going to create a situation that's so dangerous.

Three years ago, I ripped out the transom of a different boat and had to junk it because it was beyond repair. Luckily I was alone that time, so no one else was hurt. There should be some accountability by the DNR for its disrespect and total disregard for safety. What are we paying their salaries for, abuse? Who are the top DNR officials, and why aren't they being held accountable?

My neighbors and I are really angry with the DNR's incompetence with regards to water levels. This isn't only dangerous but excessively costly to people just trying to enjoy themselves on weekends on top of paying DNR salaries so they can drive around harassing the masses in their luxury pleasure crafts provided to them by taxpayers.

ROGER HOLLIS
Fort Atkinson