Friday, June 28, 2013

Grumpy Old Men and the Slow/No Wake Trigger - aka "Get Off My Lawn!!"

Hank Stockwell lives along the river in the Indianford-to-Koshkonong section and said the supervisors did not spend enough time on the river to see the damage the high water can do.
   “There’s dead trees, acres of land, and when there’s high water, all of it is going to disappear,” Stockwell said. “Both of my neighbor’s piers are underwater right now. It’s just a no-win situation for anyone who lives on the river.

________________

The boldness to which Henry Stockwell makes such careless, erroneous statements overwhelms the brain.  I guess some folks might accept him as a long-time river homeowner who knows what he is talking about - but, sadly, he doesn't.

First, his neighbors' piers are underwater because the lake is more than a foot and a half OVER the new 778 trigger.

Long ago I set my wood pier at 6 inches above 778, and guess what, it's TOO LOW.  It's underwater too.  When the lake level drops 3 feet - back to 776.30 DNR Summer MAX - I will either raise it, or more likely, move to a floating system.

Why?  Because me and my family LIKE TO RECREATE on the water.

And that brings me to my second point - the "no-win situation" comment.

In fact, 'everyone" wins from ALL user groups being able to access decent water levels - from boaters, to wakeboarders, from fishermen, to duck hunters, from homeowners, to business owners.

Perhaps it is time for the grumpy anti-boaters to leave the shoreline - sell your homes, cash-out, and take your huge profit.  

For those who are fond of saying, I have lived on this water for 30-40-50 years, what did your home cost you back then?  And look at market values today.  OK, so the market tanked for the past 5 years, but it is coming back and waterfront property will always be in demand.

God only made so much waterfront property.

And we ALL want to enjoy its use.


Labels: ,