Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A note from local law enforcement re: Blackhawk Island

Brian -
I spent some time near Fort checking out the river from shore as well as from various residences and landings. The temps started to dip around 6pm tonight (Fri.) and the boats were thinning out. I made contact with 4 returning boats at the public boat landing under the Hwy 26 overpass south of Fort Atkinson and directly across from the road leading to Blackhawk Island.

All four were fishermen, and each were happy to fill me in on what is going on. I had to chuckle when I told my wife that they were very grateful to see an officer out there. Judging from the correct registration, valid fishing licenses, and openly visible safety equipment on board their boats; they all appeared to be examples of what we like to see...as Henry says, their "ducks in a row".

With that said, they all told nearly the same story. There are a few that appear to be disregarding the SNW signs that are posted. A fisherman on the side of Hwy 106 outside of Fort, 2 residents up the street from the Hwy 26 launch, and the Lake Link postings echo the stories told by the people I spoke with at the landing.

They all described a few boats that appear to be thumbing their noses at the citizens, the posted Jefferson Co. Sheriffs order, and their fellow fishermen. They pointed out that the laminated paper sign has been stolen more than once since the date it was posted on 03/11/09. They also all had repeated sittings of 2 boats specifically that were very intentional in their acts of disregard, and said it will be easy for me to see them because of they brand of boat and where they fish.

I did not get the response you would expect. All 9-10 guys welcomed my checks, and encouraged it in the future.