Sunday, October 05, 2008

Response to Matt Dewar

On lake district, those who show up get to decide

Editor, the Gazette:

I couldn't help but write in response to the recent letter from Matthew DeWar regarding the Rock Koshkonong Lake District (RKLD) allegedly catering to a minority of property owners.

Mr. DeWar claims that only 3 percent of district members (aka property owners) showed up at the annual meeting and thus "control what goes on." This reminds me of a typical Election Day when some relatively small percentage of eligible voters shows up at the polls, casts their votes, and "controls what goes on."

As the popular saying goes, decisions are made by those who show up.

It seems to me that anyone who cares about expressing their opinion would make the effort to attend the annual meeting.

As a new property owner on the lake since June, I made sure that I was there. I couldn't see how any property owner within the RKLD who cared about their property value and who enjoyed the recreational benefits of the lake, as my family does, could do anything less than favor the RKLD board's pursuit of the case against the DNR.

BRIAN GRAY
Janesville and Albion Township
shores of Lake Koshkonong