Monday, September 11, 2006

Please send your historical photos

...I am happy to see my pictures featured on the front page of the Association, and proud of that too. They both are from the Blackhawk Island.
The history of the area, and the 1832 "war" with Chief Blackhawk are the cultural heritage for this area.
I think it deserves special attention for both it's beauty and heritage as well as the past and current DNR land reclaiming policy that resulted in many people's property condemnation.

Actually, the reason I am writing to you is the idea that the RKLD website should do more than just have slim photo gallery. It should showcase all the major areas around the lake. Like the Blackhawk Island. Like the Carcajou Point ( I have my former neighbors from Illinois live there) or Haights Bay where I spent so many years. All of the special and unique bays and areas that make this lake so unique and worth of fighting for.

I have enclosed some pictures here from Blackhawk Island. My neighbor L.A. Wilson has a long term project going on. He is carving a huge 30' Totem Pole as a tribute to Chief Blackhawk. The raising will be a special event, I have posted these pictures on the Internet just for the value of the passion this man has for the place he lives in. I think it deserves special attention and should be a part of the photo gallery- maybe more, maybe a start to a separate page featuring Blackhawk Island.
In any case, I think this is worth attention and sharing with all RKLD members and website visitors.

John Fudala