Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Note From Lake Puckaway

Brian;
Hi, my name is Paul Gettelman and I am the secretary of the Lake Puckaway Protection and Rehabilitation District. Not sure if my first email got to you so I thought I would try again....

The other day I was told that Lake Koshkonong has a commercial fisherman by the name of Steve Temy that comes in and seines the lake in the spring and fall. I was also told that he pays your lake district around $18,000 a year to seine the carp out. Hearing this via the grape vine has created some curiosity.

Lake Puckaway is similar to Lake Koshkonong in that it is a shallow lake with a river running through it and we also have a carp problem. Currently we have Steve Kallenbach from Stoddard seining the lake in the fall. For years we have paid the commercial fisherman to seine the carp. Currently we are paying $20,000 a year for him coming in once in the fall. Naturally hearing that you are being paid for your carp and we are paying to have them removed has created some interest to say the
least.

Would it be possible for you to share any information regarding your carp situation and if in fact your district is being paid for the carp? Have you had any problems with your commercial fisherman? How does the process work? How long has he being working with you and the Lake District? Any other information regarding the commercial fisherman and the carp seining on Lake Koshkonong would be greatly
appreciated.

As an aside, I must say your web site is extremely well done and very informative. You can check out our district’s web site at www.lakepuckaway.com

Any information that you may have and are willing to share you can send to me via email at getget@hughes.net or by calling me at 920-394- 3060.

Thanks for any assistance that you are able to provide and look forward to hear from you.
Paul Gettelman